Recommend me to your friends

Monday 7 June 2010

Number 17, Unlucky for some

I was just trying to book a cabin on the MSC ship Splendida when I noticed that neither she nor the Fantasia had a deck 17. A quick survey through the deck plans showed that none of the other ships had a deck seventeen or even a room number seventeen.

Interestingly in Italy the number seventeen has the same connotations for bad luck as the number 13 does over here, with Friday the 17th being considered very unlucky.
The reason for this is that in Roman numerals the number 17 is spelt XVII which can be anagrammatically re-arranged to spell out VIXI which translates as ‘I have Lived’, implying in the perfect tense "My life is over’
Most Buildings in Italy won’t have a floor number 17 or any rooms by that number either.

Strange but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment